Kadhi or Karhi is one of the most famous dishes of Punjabi Households. It is made using curd and besan with deep fried pakora’s dunked into it. It is also one of the easiest dishes to make.
Enjoy Cooking and Let me know in comments your experience in preparing it.
We have three different ingredients to prepare here. I have mentioned them separately for your ease.
- Besan – 3 Tbs
- Dahi – ½ Kg
- Methi Dana – ½ Tbs
- Salt – As per taste
- Haldi – 1 Tbs
- Water – 1 Ltr
- Cooking Oil – As per your choice
- Besan – 1 Katori
- Onion – Finely chopped
- Garlic Ginger Paste – ½ Tbs
- Green Chili – Finely chopped
For Over the Top Tadka:
- Desi ghee – 1 Tbs
- Hing 1/4th Tbs (optional)
- Red Chili – As per taste
- Red Sabut Mirch – 2
- Whisk Dahi and Besan so that it is properly mixed.
- Add salt and Haldi in it and mix well.
- Keep it aside for few mins.
- Mix finely chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, green chilies and Besan together.
- Add Salt as per your taste and mix the batter well.
- Leave the batter Idle for 10 mins.
- Take a kadahi or any open vessel and put 2 Tbs oil in it.
- Now put Methi dana.
- Pour the mixture of besan in it.
- Add 1 ltr of water and mix well.
- Add more water if you think the batter is still thick.
- Let it come to boil.
- After one boil, lower the flame and let it simmer for 30 mins.
- Till then cook the pakoda’s.
- Once the Kadhi is cooked, add pakoda’s in it.
- Take a pan and put oil in it to deep fry Pakoda’s.
- Take small small chunks from the batter prepared and deep fry them till they are golden brown.
- Cook these in medium flame.
For Over the Top Tadka
- Take a small pan.
- Heat 1 Tbs Desi ghee.
- Add hing – 1/6th Tbs (Optional)
- Add Rai.
- Add Red chili and Red Sabut Mirch.
- Pour this on the Kadhi and cover the Lid quickly.
- Garnish With Dhaniya
- Serve It with Rice or Chapati